Saturday, June 13, 2009

Out of the Comfort Zone

Teaching back to back classes can be a challenge.
Teaching yoga to 11 year-olds took me to a new place in my own practice.
There was a whine midway through the hour... "aren't we going to do toe yoga?"
I don't know "toe yoga."

I invited her to take my place on the mat and she lead the class for several minutes.
While seated, we intertwined our fingers between our toes. We pulled on each toe like we were milking them.
We added pressure to the spot midway between the ball of the foot and the big toe.
Then we slapped our foot.
Repeat on other side.

Now, for the fun. Inhale (I added that) and place your big toe and your pinky on the mat.
Forget about king pigeon or forearm balance...I dare you to put your big toe and pinky on the mat while letting the middle toes float. Now bring your middle toes to the mat and let your big toe and pinky toe lift.

The next group that came in were 16 to 18 year olds, with their feet already ravaged by years of skating, bandaged blisters and bunions to match mine. They were focused and respectful, just like I like 'em.
The class unfolded easily.
Darn it.

No comments: