Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hen of the Woods Part 2

Last fall, around the same time I found this near the base of my grandfather bur oak.

Last week, Richard had me follow him down the road on bikes and pointed out another.  The mushroom was situated in a low area between the public road and another oak tree on private property.  I didn't skip a beat, hopped off the bike and plucked it from the ground and put it in the bike basket.  Thief's remorse kicked in about one minute later, so I went to this new neighbor's door.  A sweet, golden retriever answered the door but no human.  I took the prize home.
the get-away-vehicle, Richard's 1952 Schwinn cruiser 

I invited Ione to help "process the beast."  We spent nearly two hours picking through the giant mushroom, removing critters, brushing debris, and cutting it into bite-sized pieces.

This hen was a little more mature than last year's by only a day or two.  But I found that the flavor was milder and needed less saute time.  There was enough to make omelets, a large pot of "chicken" vegetable soup and plenty to freeze in small bags for this winter's risotto...bjaaakk!  I wonder if my neighbor would accept a home baked mushroom bread pudding as restitution?

 

1 comment:

Liv Svanoe said...

Incredible! Love these pics!