Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall Foraging

For several years, at fall yard clean-up, I've been kicking a brain-like fungus to the curb.  It has grown at the base of my grand-daddy burr oak.  Come to find, from two trusted sources and an internet search that this is grifola frondosa, Hen of the Woods; Maitake; Sheepshead; Ramshead.  Often found at the base of dead or dying oaks (sob), and commonly a fall find.
This September, we have had record flooding in the Minnesota river bottoms, making for perfect conditions.  Add to that some seventy degree temps and voila!



Chicken of the Woods in my omelet!  I found the texture meaty, the taste a bit bland and bordering on barkie...Suzy says we will do it on pizza tomorrow.  It freezes well when cut into strips and required no blanching.  Use caution and experienced sources when you forage for any wild foods!

Inspiration for more fall foraging on etsy







3 comments:

Kim said...

Wow! That is one BIG mushroom you're holding. Cute blog too. Thanks so much for including my mushroom bookends. Kim at www.sassysistervintage.etsy.com

The Caravan said...

I love your blog and thank you so much for adding my soap to your recent post!
Best wishes,
Rebecca

Unknown said...

Hey, great blog! I love when I find new blogs, like a new book in the mail. Thanks for including my vintage mushroom illustration. Hardly compares to your real one!

I'll be back!

Liz
Loveelizabeth.etsy.com