Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pink Slipped...a Slippery Slope

I have been teaching yoga at a corporate location for the last six months. The number of participants had been steadily increasing up until June when there were weighty layoffs. At the beginning of August, I was informed in a rather impersonal email that my services were no longer needed. Apparently, the fitness provider that had hired me as a subcontractor, had lost the account. I was confident that my reputation had preceded me with good grace to the new provider. It had, however I was told that my pay rate was substantially higher than usual...

"Calling Suze Orman, Suze Orman"...from a TV program in a hotel room in Raleigh NC, Suze's #4 Precept stuck in my head..."Ladies, you are not on sale!"

Months ago I held firm with my rate...then I renegotiated to a lower rate. This time I held firm and I lost the gig. I taught my last class today, brought in fresh garden veggies for the participants, and skipped out with a smile on my face. I am confident that the income will be recouped. I've added another class Thursday nights, and my body is grateful that it can recoup. I will devote that 2 hours per week to my prop resource promotion or the etsy shop. Or more frequent blogs.

No comments: