Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fascinasian

Why is it, I wonder that I am drawn to shiny, tiny lacquer boxes or the vases, urns and other Asian imported and inspired vintage pieces?









click on any descriptor

 














satsuma urn






bird of paradise Otagiri keepsake box









vintage moriage teacups

 


tiny urn with scowling emperor


A recent visit to my mother's apartment reminded me...This has been part of her style, since her move from our family home in 1990.
She purchased the large fan at a gift shop in the Southdale Mall but everything else was rescued from garage sales or auction.  The Satsuma hat pin holder was a gift from me, as well as the Japanese mud man. 
I owned a similar black lacquer jewelry box with a tiny, spinning ballerina.  It was a gift from my mother in the mid-sixties.  My grown daughter has it now on her bureau.

No comments: